Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Precious memories, how they linger

I have decided to make Wednesday's "Memory Day". I must thank my friend Summer for inspiring me. While I'm sure Memory Day won't be quite as exciting as Random Thought Thursday, the idea of making one day a week devoted to something was agreeable to me. Plus, it allows me to embarrass my brother. Often. Let's meet my wonderful, much older brother.



I believe I was 5 when this picture was taken, making my brother 13 or so. Look how....cute he is. While this picture has nothing to do with today's memory, I love it solely for the fact that my brother hates it.

Today's memory is meant to paint a picture of who my brother is. What he is made of. How he tortured me as we grew up. At some point when I was little, my brother told me that I had been born in the backseat of a car. Being the trusting little sister I was, I told him to prove it. And prove it he did. He broke out my birth certificate and began pointing out the "inconsistencies" that were there. By the end he had me convinced I was born in the backseat of a car.

Years went by and I continued to believe his version of my birth. Until one day, when I was in high school a conversation was started about where we were born. Of course I chimed in. It's not everyday you meet someone who was born in the back seat of a car. When I got home, I began to tell my mom about this conversation and how everyone was shocked about my birth. During this time, my mom began to have this puzzled look upon her face. When I finished she said to me "You weren't born in the back seat of a car. Where would you get an idea like that?"

Imagine my shock upon hearing this! I wasn't born in the back seat of a car? But what about those "inconsistencies" on my birth certificate? It was then I remembered who had told me this wonderful story. Of course my brother had lied to me. I told my mom how Mike had told me for years where I was born. She began to laugh and I began to want strangle my brother. Later that evening, I called up big brother to have it out with him. Except I didn't get very far because as soon as I told him why I was calling, he began to laugh and congratulate himself on a prank well done. He was amazed I had believed his story all these years and had actually forgotten he had told me that. And so is the story of how I believed I was born in the back seat of a car.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

HAHAHAHAH nice one!

Brother said...

That's a classic!! This story is why your the best sister an older brother could have!

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)