Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys

This Labor Day weekend, Eric and I made a quick trip to Montana to visit my parents. It had been over a year since I had been home so I decided it was time. It was a weekend of firsts for Eric. He saw a couple of animals he had never seen alive in the wild and it was his first time to drive a farm machine. My parents still live on the farm I grew up on and it has been a dream of Eric's to one day drive a tractor. (this is where the title of the blog really comes into play)

For those of you who know nothing about farming, usually by this time of year, my dad is done harvesting his crops. But it has been a really cool summer, so it's taken longer for the wheat to be ready to combine. My dad had just started to combine his wheat the day before we arrived. I had not realized how deep Eric's desire was to drive a farm machine until I told him he would probably get to drive the combine and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. The following pictures are the documentation of Eric's first time driving a combine. (i might be so bold as to say it's probably his last)


This is where Eric took over driving the combine. My dad did the first round of the field to show Eric how to drive the combine and what it takes to drive it.


This is the aftermath of Eric driving the combine. I think he missed a spot. Or few.


Here's Eric coming back towards the end of the field.



Unloading the grain he combined.


There's Eric in all his cityboy glory. All that's missing is his cowboy hat and you could almost mistake him for a real farmer. Maybe not.



So proud of his accomplishment.





No comments: